At the Wings for Wellness Motherhood Matters Pregnancy Expo last Saturday, I met this lovely mom who teaches sign language classes for moms and babies! Sheri Thompson is the mom behind the hands at Together We Sign.
I signed what I called “important” signs with my son and have done the same with my daughter. It was/is wonderful to know when they’re done, when they want more, that they’re hungry or thirsty before they’re able to speak.
Why sign with your baby? Here are some advantages according to Sheri:
• Signing reduces frustration for your child and for you.
• Using signs won’t delay verbal language development; in fact, it accelerates it! Research shows that babies who sign usually begin to speak sooner and develop larger vocabularies than non-signing babies.
• Signing reinforces verbal language by adding motion and movement to word being spoken.
• Signing children tend to be more interested in books.
• Using signs builds on babies’ natural tendency to use gestures, such as pointing.
• Signing can help parents and pediatricians identify injuries, pain, and other medical issues.
Sheri is a certified Texas educator and has been studying and using signs with her children since 1991!
You can either visit her website for more information, or sign up for one of her classes that she teaches in Plano at the Nappy Shoppe. Follow this link to her class schedule and her Facebook page where you can keep up to date on her classes and information about her business.